15 September 2012

i'm grateful for . . . 'flower festivals & eye candy'

Greetings all,
Spring means one major event in Canberra . . . Floriade, the glorious flower festival.  It's free entry during the week days & i try to go once a week, on my own, with children, meeting a friend . . . it's just so relaxing.
It opened to today & the weather was Spring perfection.  It runs for weeks so the flowers have a chance to bloom & the 'art' changes.  It's magical, right on the edge of Lake Burley Griffin with all sorts of activities, demonstrations, sculptures & a wine bar.
 I love impasto art, i painted like this for the HSC & scored full marks!!
 During the weekdays, school choirs & bands play, you can bring a picnic or wander the flower displays, listening to the music.  Be careful to dodge the tourists with their cameras.
 Jamie Durie fans, here is some eye candy for you - he's designing the gardens around a new 'lifestyle experience' in Canberra.  He was really friendly & as celebrities do, position themselves for photo opportunities - assuming i was going to launch my children at him for a snap - alas no, i had to say "sorry, they just really need the toilet."  This stripper-turned-celebrity-gardening-entrepreneur was unflappable, kindly giving us directions to the nearest demountable toilet block "behind the pine trees" to which my husband said "the children can just go behind the pine trees. we'll say Jamie said it was Ok??"  Laughs were exchanged, i thanked him for being so informative about the amenities & we parted ways.  
 There was a short queue at the Petting Zoo & very friendly staff, with plenty of animals to cuddle.  The children thrilled the handlers naming all the different types of chicken breeds.
 Then we trotted back to the car & off to collect our high schooler from a Volleyball referring course, she qualified & everything.   
Notice the jackets??  Glorious sunshine & 8C at midday, welcome to Spring in Canberra!!
For more Gratefuls, visit Village Voices, love Posie

17 comments:

fee @ chipper nelly said...

lovely to hear from you this sunny morning! lovely pictures Jennie...happy weekend, fee x

Unknown said...

My mum loves Jamie durie! I wonder if she made an appearance at floriade today too! Hehe

Unknown said...

My mum loves Jamie durie I wonder if she made an appearance at floriade today too! Hehe

Simone - honeyandfizz said...

Oh thanks for the peek Jennie. I was thinking about whether to go but don't think we'll have the time this year. Another time xx

Beautiful House said...

Oh gorgeous flowers and of course the eye candy too.x

Unknown said...

Oh, i would so love to visit Floriade...and Jaimie wouldn't be bad either...that man seriously never looks older have you noticed? Thanks for sharing your pics!

TexWisGirl said...

looks like a lot of fun and beauty, too.

Elisa {With Grace and Eve} said...

Sounds like a gorgeous day! I laughed at the Jamie Durie chat :) x

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Loving the Face Books comments on this one, you ladies!! Love Posie

Unknown said...

Just got your comment glad it arrived and aww your son is so cute!! Thanks for being apart of the challenge x

Anonymous said...

Нοwdy aгe uѕіng Wordргess foг yοuг ѕite platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm tгying to gеt started and sеt up mу oωn.

Dο you requіre аny сoding knoωlеԁge to make your оwn blog?
Any helρ wοuld be gгeаtly
apprеciateԁ!
Feel free to visit my webpage ; mobile

Mum on the Run said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous - until the jackets and 8 degrees part!!
:-) x

The Moerks said...

Looks like fun. I love how the youngest toughs it out without a jacket. My boys are the same.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This іs kinԁ of off topic but I need somе help from
аn established blog. ӏs it tough to set up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thіnking
about crеating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Appreciate it
My page :: healthy recipes for weight loss

Polly said...

I've never been to floriade, it looks wonderful.

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Floriade is one of my favourite things, but it has been years since I've been.
Thanks for the Jamie pic!

Laura @ Twenty5seven said...

Look at that blue sky, gorgeous!